Thursday, January 8, 2015

Like the Screwtape Letters but in reverse? And other goings-on...

I still need to catch up on the holidays - they totally wiped me out this year! But in the meantime I have to chronicle a few recent tidbits.

Like this. It's a letter to Satan.
I found it in Kate's room while cleaning up. Apparently she got in trouble (something to do with soup?) and needed someone to blame! I love this sweet, sensitive, passionate little girl with faith so strong she thinks she can even turn Satan around!

I'm not gonna lie, sometimes she gives me a run for my money. Some days I do not handle it as well as others. She just has so much conviction and stubbornness and PASSION wrapped up in one tiny little package. I do love her to pieces, and I'm lucky to be her mom.

Also last week, this happened.
Do we even need to say anything? I think it's pretty self-explanatory.
Quote from Brooklyn a week or two before: "First I ate all the charms, and then I ate all the luckies!"
In this case it appears that there is a suspicious lack of "charms" in that dustpan and an inordinate number of "luckies"...

And this little guy-

He just keeps growing and growing like crazy!
I have FINALLY managed to convince him to sleep through the night!
Mostly.
It was a genius discovery, really. I'd been unable to sleep train him earlier because all the rooms in this tiny house are full of people who have to wake up early in the morning. It's just safer to run to him and cuddle him back to sleep than to let him cry and risk waking anyone up. That is why I have been up all night every night for his entire life. (He's 9 months old!) That's right, I haven't slept for longer than 4 consecutive hours in a YEAR! Now you know where this Mr. Hyde alter ego of mine is coming from.

Well, over the winter break, my kids pretty much partied in their rooms every night, and they all three took to sharing my girls' bunk beds together. That left the boys' room open (since Nolan was still sleeping in mine). That was when it hit me - I had the fabulous idea to keep Troy in the girls' room for a few nights while I shut Nolan away in his very own room. Two doors closed between us. It worked like a charm and it was glorious. Now we're still adjusting a little to him sharing a room with Troy, but I am sleeping much longer at night and it is wonderful. I'm sure that soon we will start reaping the benefits of my stabilized temper, adult-sized attention span, and maybe even a cure for my narcolepsy in embarrassing social situations.
Yes... I'm sure I will start acting like a normal adult very soon... Any day now...

The Pig.
My beloved pig chef that we received for our wedding toppled to his untimely demise yesterday on that blasted tile floor that has already claimed the lives of half our dishes. I was heartbroken, but fortunately, my heroic super-glue-wielding husband managed to save him with a few torturous hours of surgery. I don't think the Pig has quite forgiven me yet, though, as he left me this message.


And why don't we round it off with this extended-family picture from Thanksgiving?
Center right (holding my nephew Brandon) is my Grandmother (Gigi), and center (red) is my mom. This is her entire family. My dad beside her (holding Brooklyn), and all five of her kids, three spouses, and seven grandchildren. This was a fun holiday, and one that I'm hoping we might make a tradition!...

2 sweet nothings:

Kara B. said...

Krista, I love your posts. You're so witty and they always make me laugh. Plus your children are darling. Thanks for letting me keep track of your little family.

Tara said...

In this case it appears that there is a suspicious lack of "charms" in that dustpan and an inordinate number of "luckies"...

Bahahahaha!!!!