Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Being a mother now makes me see Mother's Day in a different light. Pictures like these, for example, are so much more valuable to me when you've looked at them from the "mother" side. This is my favorite thing, ever. This is my mommy and me, right after I was born. See how much she loves me???

Little Nolan, a couple days ago.
There is just nothing to compare with a sleeping baby. Anywhere. Ever. *sigh*

This Mother's Day was pretty fantastic, actually! I've had my share of abysmal ones in the past, since we all know that Mother's Day with very small children is where you get to celebrate being a mother by -surprise- doing all the motherly things you would have done on any other day! But now my kids are old enough to spoil me!

I woke up to a specialty breakfast prepared by Travis and the kids - an omelette bar!
Oh, I'm sorry - "Momlats!" Ha ha!
With love.


Our ward [church congregation] in Maryland used to gather every month or two for a group canning activity, and the hosts always prepared an omelette bar for everyone, since it was always held on a Saturday morning. It was such a fun and clever idea! So Travis decided to recreate this idea for a Mother's Day breakfast. The kids also prepared a number of banners and giant signs and cards (which Kate thoughtfully compiled into a book of cards, with a customized cover, so I wouldn't lose any). Hm I will have to take more pictures of all of that to add later!




I think this is also a good day for me to talk about this:
So I didn't want to sound materialistic or brag about jewelry, but I do want to record the story behind this.
Travis gave me this ring when Nolan was born. It's a heart-shaped aquamarine (March birthstone), surrounded by little pairs of leaves each with a diamond in the center. There are six pairs in all - representing each member of our family now. I love it so much and love his creative thoughtfulness even more! I wanted little Nolan sooooo badly, and I feel so glad and grateful and blessed to have this new little addition to our family!

I love all of these little people who made me a mommy so much!





And of course, the mother who taught me how to be a mommy in the first place!

I love her so much! Everything I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
(Some may say that Abraham Lincoln said that, but you heard it here first. He was quoting me.)
She taught me how to live life and have fun doing it! And also that being a grown up doesn't have to be boring (or even all that grown-up!) Most importantly she taught me how to love my little ones.
And I do.

Happy Mother's Day to mommies everywhere!!!

********

This is completely unrelated, but we've been having some crazy weather here lately! Yesterday our hot afternoon thunderstorm turned to this:
 Hard to see, but that is gigantic HAIL bouncing around the grass!
My favorite were these:
How does that even happen??? Nature is amazing.


 It's always an adventure here!

0 sweet nothings: