Thursday, September 24, 2009

Krista Lundell vs. Window Coverings

The results of Round 1.

Window coverings are and have always been my nemesis. I just don't get them. Or maybe they just don't get me. Whichever way the misunderstanding goes, it has been plaguing me since, well, I have had windows. Which is forever.

First and foremost, I hate, repeat HATE, those skinny little aluminum mini-blinds with every fiber of my being. Second place would be vertical blinds. I'd like to get my hands on whoever invented that little number. So we move into this lovely little apartment, and wouldn't you know it? They've used both to cover the windows. Something must be done.

A more talented window-coverer (?) would have quickly whipped up a solution and the offending quote-unquote "window coverings" would have been gone in a jiffy. But not only was I endowed with an irreverent abhorrence for cheap window coverings, but I was also conveniently endowed with an acute lack of talent in thinking up something better.

I even bought a book that was supposed to help. It was called "Two-Hour Window Coverings". Something that can be done in two hours ought to be manageable enough for even me, right?

Well. After two years in this apartment, 1.5 of those spent with a naked curtain rod hanging promiscuously above the triple front windows, and four thousand ideas later, I finally came up with this.
They aren't quite put together, and I forgot to replace the finials on the ends of the curtain rod, but you get the idea. See, I was going for Roman shades but then decided I wanted something a little less linear, but also not too big and billowy like old-lady floral valances. Here is the result. They were indeed inspired by the two-hour book and yes it took ridiculously more than two hours to pull off. They do come down so they can actually COVER the windows, allowing me to remove the offending aluminum blinds. HALLELUJAH!!! And that is what I've been doing instead of blogging. And yes I DO plan to continue to blog about every little update I do to my house.

R.I.P. aluminum mini-blinds.

9 sweet nothings:

Lis said...

I think its GREAT that you blog about all your updates, i mean- i now blog about every blade of grass in my backyard soo...... yah. Thats pretty awesome that you went for the curtain making! Im impressed yo!!! And I agree, I hate BOTH of those blinds. We had the vertical over our patio door...... they were DOWN by day 6 of living here. PUKE.

Lara said...

Ha ha!! I share the same dislike for window blinds - I don't have any in my house except for the nicer ones in the bedroom (not the aluminum kind - no way!). I am wanting to do roman blinds in the kitchen (I have 3 windows plus a door window) but I have no idea how to do all that...so we have been here for a couple of years and we will probably be here a while before I get that done....maybe I won't even get it done, we will see. In the front window I didn't have anything for the longest time, but I have some panels that stay open and I only close them if I want to excercise or something like that.

Anie said...

WOW!!! Another INCREDIBLE job done by Krista Lundell! Seriously- you never cease to amaze me! I've had those ugly aluminum blinds up in my place for OVER two years now and oh how I've dreamed about all the other window coverings I'd rather be looking at. Of course I've done nothing about it though. I so WISH I had even an ounce of your creativity, skill, and determination!!! Well done Krista! Well done!

Nat said...

Very nice!
...and I like your home updates. It gives me ideas, so keep 'em coming!

Shauna said...

Having seen your blinds up close, I am totally and 100% impressed with how you can take nothing and turn it into something beautiful. Now you just need to come over to our place and fix our ugly blinds:)

tylerandmommy said...

GREAT job! I want to see them DOWn please. I have stupid aluminum blinds. They get so dusty and the dust clings to them like a two year old on a cookie. But I am not ALLOWED to hang curtain rods. You're right - you heard me. The drywall can crack and no one will fix it, but I can't hang curtain rods. Even my pictures are on the wall using 3M velcro strips. Fantastic invention btw. Anyhow you're two hour coverings are genius. HOORAY YOU!

jbel said...

ur a step ahead of me- i bought a book on how 2 make roman shades n haven't ever cracked it open (purchased it back in Md.)

i was lol after reading the previous post- classic!

LiveLoveLaugh said...

You did a great job! It takes me FOREVER to get things done, too. I have great ideas, but they never come to fruition, so I think the fact that you got them done is awesome.

Wendi said...

Now I have seen them in person. How exciting for me!