Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Visit from Papa Mike!

(I know I'm behind but I'll catch up a little at a time. I'll make excuses later. Sheesh this takes so long. Also forgive the pictures. Still getting used to the new camera.)

Last week we were lucky enough to see Travis's dad when he came into town to receive a Major Award! The award bit only took a day or two, so he spent the rest of the week with us!
Kate was thrilled, especially since her sharp little memory reminded her that Papa Mike gave her gum once over Christmas. Every other word out of her mouth was asking him for gum.
The girls LOVED having a fresh new source of attention! Papa Mike and Daddy even took them on a walk to see the "baby ducks" (which are geese) and to the playground.
More gum?

Unfortunately, Brooklyn came down with an ear infection last week, so she was not the happiest camper for a few days. Luckily her antibiotics kicked in soon enough for us to visit DC with very little incident. Note to DC travelers: the Friday before Memorial Day is not really the easiest time to visit DC... especially if it happens to be a beautiful day!

Undeterred by the crowds, we visited the National Archives and the Smithsonian museums of Natural History and American History. It was kind of fun because it was the same day of the premiere of the "Night at the Museum" sequel, so a lot of the exhibits were marked as ones that would appear in the movie. (Okay actually I only noticed that label on the T-Rex. Should've looked harder.)
In the Museum of Natural History, the girls LOVED this aquarium (and I was secretly coveting it for my dining room. Like a Chinese restaurant.)
I think the highlight, though, were these TVs they'd implanted in the floor for who knows what reason? Kate and Brooklyn spent most of the time walking up and down the rows of screens.
And Brooklyn found a little deer that was just her size!
Sidewalk ramps and elevators are for sissies.
(Yes that is our DOUBLE STROLLER he hefted up and down those steps! And with Papa Mike as our packhorse, riding the Metro has never been easier.)

Kate eventually took over the stroller-pushing. (She wanted to prove she was as tough as Papa Mike.) This is what amuses me about using a double stroller in the first place. Please take a moment to note who is riding in it...
That's right... NO ONE!!!

But all in all, lots of fun times!
Thanks for a great week, Papa Mike!

4 sweet nothings:

Wendi said...

We went to DC, but on Monday mainly. Jason's Dad was in town. What a coincidence. There weren't very many people in places on Monday. I think they were all at the parade. We even got a parking spot in DC.

Shauna said...

I'm so glad you had fun with Travis's day. It looks like you guys kept busy. I'm also especially loving all the pictures again. Yeah for new cameras! Once all this rain goes away we will have to hit the pool.

Charlotte Lundell said...

I wish I could have been there. Krista is such a gracious hostess. I miss you guys. I especially loved the picture of Kate pushing the empty stroller.

tylerandmommy said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Strollers usually don't end up getting used at my house either, UNLESS you don't bring one!! I think your pictures turned out GREAT, unedited and all. I am starting to think editing pictures are overrated. Take em once, take em great, and leave em alone.