Friday, May 15, 2009

Pigeons, paper towels, and caterpillars

I certainly need to apologize for this week's anti-motherhood complaining session. I really DO love my kids and I really AM having the time of my life. Sometimes I just get moody, you know. I'm really sorry if I've been driving anyone to rethink the idea of raising toddlers or to re-examine the worst in their own toddlers! Two-year-olds really can be fun. Let me show you.

Yesterday morning when Kate woke up, she called, "Mommy!" from her room, followed by, "Happy Mother's Day!" Hm, she was only four days late!

Today I took Kate and Brooklyn to the slide, and as we were walking there, Kate suddenly stopped dead in her tracks and whispered reverently, "DUCKS!" I looked and saw a pair of pigeons poking around under a tree.
M: Actually those aren't ducks. They're pigeons.
K: How did they get on the ground? Down from the tree?
M: Well... they probably used their wings and flew down.
K: Like THIS??? (And she began flapping her arms wildly and bobbing her head around, well, like a pigeon.) I could hardly keep from laughing. It was just so precious.

Then when we came to the slide, we were disappointed to find a little puddle of rainwater still standing on the bottom of the slide. It had been sunny all morning, so there was hardly any left, and it was clean, so I thought I'd just brush it away and Kate could still slide. She thought about it for a long time and even reflected, "These are my new jeans..." And finally she informed me that we would have to go home and get a towel ("towlo" in Kate's words) and come back. So we trekked back home, armed ourselves with one paper towlo each, and went back to clean the slide. I'm sure our neighbors would be thinking, "What a bunch of GIRLS!" Well, yes we are.

When we returned home, we saw not one, but FOUR caterpillars climbing the wall outside our door. One even appeared to be spinning a cocoon. (That or else he was stuck in a spider web, doomed for certain death, and we did not rescue him. I don't really know anything about caterpillars or cocoons.) We watched them for a few minutes, and later when Kate lay down for her nap, she began to ponder the nature of caterpillars. "Where did the caterpillars come from, Mommy?" I was really tired and plus I don't know where caterpillars come from, so I said, "From outside."
"But WHERE outside? From the tree?"
"Yes probably from the trees."
"They want to come in the house!"
Oh I hope not.
Her musings continued; I didn't catch much more but left her alone with her deep thoughts.
Because that is what naptime is for, right?

Okay, and I am no longer the only one trying to use our poor camera after it has officially kicked the bucket! I came home this afternoon to find that Travis had been taking pictures WITHOUT the lens at all! He could only take really really close-ups though. Still, I thought a couple of these were not bad! All things considered. Can you tell we are anxious for our new camera to come??? It's supposed to arrive TODAAAYYYYY!!!!

Can you guess whose eyes these are??? Kind of SPOOOOKY!!!

Um... this is probably a little more up-close-and-personal than you'd ever hoped to get with the Lundells...

And can you guess what these are? It's like a game!...

12 sweet nothings:

Miriam Herm said...

we're in california, actually. and you're on the east coast. we live an hour away from disneyland and love visitors. also, we live next to the beach and did i mention that we love visitors?

tylerandmommy said...

Cooooool close ups. I dunno whose eyes they are. Your girls eyes are blue, other than that I have no idea. I am glad you are getting your new camera soon! What kind did you end up getting?>

welundell said...

eyes: travis, krista, then kate?
items: travis' ring, a socket, and a basket?

fun game!!

NatPalmer said...

I agree with "welundell" on all of the above, except perhaps #3 is Brooklyn's eye. (#2 eye was obvious since it is brown & has mascara.)

Sterling said...

I agree with welundell too. I bet it is Kate's because I doubt Brooklyn would hold still for something like that. I know that Cami sure wouldn't. But maybe Brooklyn is better behaved than Cami. :)

Sterling said...

Oh, that was Erika, by the way, not Sterling.

Jue said...

Ha-ha.. they're so funny.. i might say it brilliant too. :p Kids have so many imagination & questions that we cannot solve sometimes.. Ha-ha!
I had experienced it before..
that was two years ago, when I was in a bus I heard a daughter asked to his mother 'mother why must my age is getting increased as my birthday comes?' ... how do you going to answer that questions to your kid if they ask you so? tough question right?

Wendi said...

Oh...that welundell took away everyone's creativity. This is a very interesting camera. You'll have to tell us what you got. I'm excited for you.

Doreen said...

travis's eye, kristas eye, then kate's. Then travis' ring. Easy cheese. The 2nd to last is harder...is it in focus? haha! Is it a plug socket thing? Then some kind of hat or basket is the last one.

Lis said...

You guys are sooooo creative! So where are the NEW pictures from your SNAZZY NEWWWWW CAMERA?? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??????????????????????????????????????? Im waiting ya know!! I need to see some Rainy BBQ pix!!!

Lis said...

You guys are sooooo creative! So where are the NEW pictures from your SNAZZY NEWWWWW CAMERA?? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??????????????????????????????????????? Im waiting ya know!! I need to see some Rainy BBQ pix!!!

Keri said...

I love your photos!!! My camara is Nikon D40 which is the cheapes DSL that I have found it was around 500 and came with two lens i know that sounds like a lot but really it isn't bad at all with you stop to think you can buy a crappy point and shot from best buy for 300, you can ask nat but i think it is total worth it.