Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Remember that one time when I fell off the face of the earth?

That's how I've been feeling lately. After our trip to Utah I think my mind went on permanent vacation. I just liked having nothing to remember, nowhere to be, nothing to do... so I slipped into a permanent vegetative state. In the past 24 hours I've learned about TWO parties I was invited to that I totally blew off, and I've called nearly every one of my piano students to have them remind me for an eighteenth time when we were scheduled to resume lessons. On the bright side, I guess I've been having a pretty relaxing summer! Maybe too much so.

Travis deliberately left me his computer today because he wanted me to catch up on our blog. (I keep complaining about the home computer, which is in Troy's room anyway and he sleeps a lot.) You know things are bad when even the husband calls you out on your terrible blogging record. I have all these little "events" I keep meaning to blog for the record (because otherwise it feels like it never happened) but it gets to a point where I don't know where to begin. I've started feeling like a slacker as a mom. I'm always building up guilt over not taking enough pictures or not taking my kids on enough creative outings or not reading to them enough. So I think I mentally just checked out. You know, kind of like when that one kitchen drawer or that one (let's be honest) room gets so messy you just finally call it a day and ignore it until that illusive future date when you'll tackle the whole thing at once. Unfortunately children don't work that way - you can't put off building a childhood until you find time to tackle it all at once!

ANYway, catching up on a bit of blogging might help me feel a little more organized, so here it goes. I'll try to make this as concise (um... from this point forward) and as painless as possible. Way back in the beginning of July, my mom and my two youngest brothers came to visit for a quick weekend before we all whisked off to Utah for three weeks. We spent the 4th of July here as well. It started with a ward breakfast at our church. Oh, here we are:
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Then we came home and Travis made us some of his famous snow cones. Didn't know one could be famous for snow cones, did you?
Photobucket
We didn't really have any daytime plans, so Travis really wanted to take my brothers and go canoeing on Little Seneca lake. So they did.
Photobucket
When they got there, though, they realized that it was free fishing day! Jackpot! Of course none of them had brought fishing equipment, but no matter. They hit up the park's tackle shop. And bought a pink princess fishing pole.

Photobucket Photobucket
They actually caught three fish, by splitting the line and using oars so they could all three fish at once. And in fact... the fishing line and hooks caught all the fish, and the pink princess pole caught zero. Go figure.
Photobucket

That night we really wanted to visit my grandpa's grave (my mom's dad) in Arlington National Cemetery before the fireworks. It made for a tight squeeze on time when we were finally ready to park ourselves somewhere to watch fireworks, but we were glad we went.
Photobucket
(our family self-portrait taken with the camera timer balanced on top of the car)

As per our tradition, the kids left nickels for him
Photobucket
We ended up watching the fireworks near the Pentagon. We'd never seen the DC fireworks except from the Mall, so it was a nice change to be a little more removed from the crowds.
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Um... and I finally blogged the 4th of July.
Check.

7 sweet nothings:

Stacy said...

I love it! It's fun to see what you guys have been up to this summer. I totally do the "CHECK OUT" thing from time to time. Scott knows I've checked out when he comes home from work and the kids are still in their pajamas. ;) Mom of the year, right here!

tylerandmommy said...

I feel ya on the checking out thing...I finally blogged last week for the first time in in like 9 months. Sad. It was nice to see your catch up post - looks like you guys had a fun 4th of July!!

Carlile File said...

That face your mom is making (fireworks picture) looks oddly familiar...I believe I have seen you make that face...yes...and Kate.....and.....Brooklyn .....yes that is where I have seen that face before...family traits evidently come in picture posing faces as well...CUTE!

Dan and Bec said...

I love how entertaining your writing is Krista! Glad you have had a fun and eventful Summer! Lets get our girls together one last time before school begins!

Tammy said...

I'm happy to see your back. I enjoy your posts. Okay, I just read your previous post, and those ambigrams are amazing!!!! Wow! Which brother is the artist?

Wendi said...

I think I may need the famous snow cone recipe.

Matt said...

You are so funny! You're doing lots better than I am. I haven't blogged both of my kids birthdays, nor anything from the summer. So way to go on at least getting Kate's birthday and the fourth on!

What are you guys doing this year? Maybe you've said in your blog, but I check so sporadically that I probably missed it. :-)

Oh, and this is Marisa, not Matt.