Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Great Dinner Dilemma...

I really really really extremely hate cooking dinner. I honestly cannot express to you my abhorrence of this daily chore. I would quite frankly rather spend the entire day doing laundry (which I really don't hate) than cook dinner every evening. I think it's mostly that I hate trying to think of something yummy, healthy, edible, and different to cook every single night. Oh and all of those criteria must be met. And then, my family still won't eat it (Travis might because he feels obligated). In fact, only about 10% of the time will it actually be delicious. Maybe 50% of the time, palatable, and the remaining 40%, it will be a horrendous disaster.

So with no further ado, I am hereby launching
THE DINNER PROJECT.

In which I plan out our meals for the week (I usually do this anyway, on a calendar in the pantry, but then I either forget to shop for some of the ingredients or decide I'm not in the mood for that and end up not sticking to the plan anyway. And making pancakes instead. Not that that's not okay once in a while... just not every night.) and POST THE MENU for all to see on my blog. That way I feel accountable, even if no one reads or cares. I'll also try to link the recipes beside the menu items, if I have recipes available. If not and you really think it sounds interesting, let me know and I can give it to you.

Here is this week's Official Menu (to the right ----------->)
Recipes are linked by ***

Remember that one time when I "started" a recipe blog? And then I think I posted a total of two recipes? That's when I realized that was all I really had. And I think both recipes were in the BAKING category and not COOKING - which are completely opposite things, by the way. I could bake all day, but when it comes to cooking dinner, I am dragging my feet. Anyway I've resurrected the abandoned recipe collection (mostly so I can just have my most often-used recipes easily accessible online so I can just cook from the laptop rather than printing off an 18th copy of the chili recipe to take into the kitchen). I plan to add to it until eventually the majority of my recipes are there and not stuffed into a bulging binder on my cookbook shelf.

And now it's time for my disclaimer. Don't judge by the obvious health content (or lack thereof) of the meals I plan - this is a serious work in progress and I'm going to post all the dinners no matter what we really eat (yes even the pancakes) in hopes of building a repertoire and trying to improve little by little. It will probably be a lot of unhealthy and/or lazy recipes for the remainder of my pregnancy because I am starving and tired and not in a very healthy mood all the time. I know this is not a constructive attitude to have. I don't really care.

So here's where YOU ALL come in. I clearly need help with new recipe ideas, so if you could post a favorite recipe or even just WHAT your favorite dinner to cook is, it would be awesome. Thanks.

11 sweet nothings:

Bobby.and.Emily said...

I love sweet potato fries. All you need is enough sweet potatoes for your family. Cut them in half and then cut each half into 6-8 slices. They should look like potato wedges. Soak them in water for 20-30 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Then put 2 tbs of olive oil in a bowl with the potato slices and make sure they all get covered. Put on a baking pan in a single layer and sprinkle with salt pepper and brown sugar. Bake at 400 until they are at your crispy liking! I bake them 30-40 minutes! I promise they are worth the work they are yummy! I could just eat these for dinner and be happy! And there are perfect with turkey burgers! This is actually on my meal list this week, and I plan to blog about the fries!

Anie said...

LOVE the idea Krista! Go YOU!!! It's just really hard for me to enjoy cooking, or want to put a lot of time into making a fabulous meal when I've only got a husband who will really eat it. it's been better this summer for me cause there's more people around who will eat. I'll definitely be stealing ideas from your menu!

BTW- awesome birthday party you threw for Kate! I wouldn't expect anything less from you though! :)

Callie said...

I'm excited about this! I made this the other night and it was easy, yummy, non-healthy, and used mostly stuff I keep around the house anyway. It seems really kid friendly. I don't know how to link a comment so I'll just post the address. And I'll email you my other ideas. Good luck!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/cheddar-chicken-recipe-00000000033194/index.html

Lauren said...

Good idea to get motivated Krista! I'm sure you know there are tons of amazing cooking blogs out there, but one that I really love is fittingly called This Week For Dinner.http://thisweekfordinner.com/ She posts a weekly menu and asks all of her readers to as well. They have great ideas every week. Then she also posts amazing new things she tries. I have gotten a lot of ideas from her.

Good luck! It is hard to cook when you are pregnant, I agree. Hang in there!

Karen said...

I LOVE it!!! This is a great idea, I love the graphic thing on the side. I (believe it or not) have been seriously struggling with this the last 4 months or so as well. Just nothing sounds good (except eating out somewhere), so once I have this baby I am back to my serious meal planning. Now I will be stealing YOUR recipes--the fish tacos sound awesome :o)

Karen said...

Oh one more thing--I would just make one suggestion. To keep myself from burning out on making dinner, I give myself one night a week when we have leftovers (because the fridge is full of them by then from making so many dinners), and one night a week when I do either mac & cheese or something else super-easy for the boys. Then Jer usually brings home something fun just for the 2 of us to eat after the boys go to bed (like California Tortilla or kabobs or something)--this is usually Friday :o) I am just done with dinners by that time of the week... And when things are really busy at work, this doubles as our date night as well. It's better than nothing!

Just my 2 cents... as always :o)

Wendi said...

All I want to eat is Hungry Jack Pancakes after reading that...

The McKinstry Family said...

Your recipes sound pretty good to me. We have really boring food at our house. It is hard to cook something that everyone likes or that they will eat. We also do the leftover thing once a week and usually have some type of breakfast food once a week. Sunday is the only day that we go all out with roasts in the crockpot. I love crockpot recipes, you put it in and leave it.

Tammy said...

You're so funny. I was thinking of doing a similar post. I hate cooking dinner also, especially when I'm pregnant. It is such a chore. And, like you, I love to bake--remember when we used to make chocolate chip cookies at your house. Anyways, I totally understand. I'll have to read through the comments to get some good ideas on what to cook.

Lis said...

Very Cute Krista! Hmmm. Lets see... our FAV thing here at Brewer house is LUCKY CHARMS. Does that count? hahah! I have a few Anie recipes? But Brians mom always made an EASY Mexican pizza. With boboli (sp??) pizza crust, beans, cheese and salsa. Or you can make it more fancy and actually CHOP tomatoes and add guac or sour cream........... Depends on if I want it to take 5 minutes or 10 to prepare. hehe.

Erika said...

Fun fun fun. I have the same problem. I never know what to cook so I usually give that task to Sterling when he leaves for work in the morning and before he gets home he has to tell me what to cook. Most of the time it works out really well.

I liked Karen's idea about a leftover night. We have that on Wednesdays (or at least, that's the plan). It works out well to keep the fridge less packed.

My favorite recipes are chicken enchiladas (I have the recipe if you want it) and chicken, bacon, ranch. Or something. A friend of mine made it up. Call me when you have free time and I'll give you the recipe. I could eat that every single day of the week. Even Cami likes it, so if Kate and Brooklyn turn it down, then I'm out of ideas.

Well done you! Thanks for the help you're giving the rest of us too.